In high school my brother quit drinking soda. I’m the younger sibling, so naturally I thought everything my brother did was cool, so I also needed to quit drinking soda. To be honest, we both have minor relapses now and then. It’s hard for me to reject Red Bull, it tastes like gummy bears and fun.
Then, I didn’t know why he quit drinking soda, I thought it was what the cool kids were doing. To my surprise I found out soda was actually not remotely good to drink. In fact, there is no nutritional value to a soda. But that’s not the worst part…
When I was younger I was a fan of David Letterman’s Top Ten. Now I’m 26 going on 85 and really enjoy sleeping after the 10 pm news, and haven’t seen it in years. So let’s do the Top Ten Reasons not to drink Soda a la David Letterman.
10. Teeth are neat. There’s a real reason why dentists say avoid sweets and soda. Soda is FULL of sugar. The sugar in soda is turned to acid by the bacteria on our mouth. That acid then eats at our teeth enamel and cause tooth decay. One 12 oz Mountain Dew contains 11 teaspoons of sugar. And you Diet Soda folk aren’t in the clear either. Diet Soda contains citric acid, again, bye bye enamel.
9. Big Bones are for dinosaurs. Danish researchers discovered that Soda contributes to fat buildup around skeletal muscles and around the liver. This buildup can contribute to diabetes and insulin resistance.
8. We flush…and redrink. This one grosses me out a bit. The artificial sweeteners that are used in diet sodas don’t break down…So the exit our body just like they entered. Then when they get to waste-water treatment plants, they can’t stop them from entering the waterways. A test of 19 municipal water supplies in the US showed a low level presence of sucralose in each one. So that’s sweet…yes pun intended.
7. I forgot. Brominated vegetable oil, bka, BVO is added to prevent the flavoring from separating. It’s also an industrial chemical used as a flame retardant in plastics.Even worse, it can cause memory loss.
6. “I am 16 going on 73…” A study published in a 2010 issue of FASEB Journal reported that lab rats that had been consuming excessive phosphate levels (equivalent to that found in soda) died five weeks earlier than rats with a normal phosphate diet.
5. BPA un-free. There has been a war on BPA and for good reason. My momsicle made me toss out several water bottles, even nostalgic ones in fear of being attacked. BUT aluminum cans, not just plastic bottles, contain BPA. The BPA keeps the acid in the soda from reacting with the metal. Companies are working on finding a BPA free one time use plastic bottle but have seemed to neglect the cans. BPA has been linked to cancer, diabetes, obesity, and more.
4. It’s Diet Though. Diet soda means relatively nothing. There has been serveral studies that prove that people that do drink diet soda daily increase overall weight. When our liver takes on too much glucose the excess is converted to body fat. So to quote Mean Girls, “First you bloat,
then you drop 10 pounds like that.” Yep, you just bloat.
3. Brown soda spray tans. Yep, brown soda isn’t naturally dark. The Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the FDA in 2011. There were trying to ban the artificial caramel coloring used to make brown cola brown. Why? Well, 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole, both I can’t come close to pronouncing, are known to cause cancer in animals. California’s Proposition 65 declared 6 micrograms (per person daily) of 4-methylimidazole would be enough to pose a cancer threat. In a 20 oz bottle (diet or regular brown sodas) there is upwards to 200 micrograms. And these ingredients are completely unnecessary because they are just for coloring.
2. Pick-up lines and soda are family, both extremely corny. There is currently a ton of hoopla about GMO’s (genetically modified organisms). Over 80% of the United States’ corn supply isn’t GMO free. Basically we have been creating a super corn that is capable of defending itself. That meaning the corn is basically a pesticide itself. And soda if full of CORN. So there’s that…
1. “I can’t wait for the caffeine to kick in so I can get my caffeine headache, not sleep, faster heartbeat, anxiety, become irritable, and even nauseous.” Yes, that might be a bit extreme. But caffeine can lead to all of those things. Caffeine dependency is one of the worst habits to break because caffeine withdrawals can happen within 12 hours of your last sip. So it’s a constant cycle of need.
For the record, I only watched the Top Ten, I’m Team Jay Leno. I might also have quit drinking soda when Surge was discontinued. Any 90’s birthday party was not complete without Surge.